[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - University study on Diesel and Hydrogen Fumigation

University study on Diesel and Hydrogen Fumigation

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

University study on Diesel and Hydrogen Fumigation

Postby adam » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:11 am

Hey,

Thought I would introduce myself, I live in the UK and have been following the site and hydrogen tech for some years. I have decided to take it a step on and study hydrogen and diesel for a year project at University.

I will be studying exactly what happens in the combustion chamber of a cars engine. Hopefully testing it on a test bed.

Along side I am building a series cell for my Land Rover Defender :)

I am trying to steer my project at the moment, and would like to know your ideas as to what you would like to know more about, so I can specify my project.

e.g.

Effects of Fumigation of hydrogen in a diesel engine for efficiency improvement
Effects of Fumigation of hydrogen in a diesel engine on emissions
Effects of Fumigation of hydrogen in a diesel engine for power output

Your thought would be appreciated...obviously whatever I find, I will share :)

Adam
AC Cobra V8, Defender 110 200tdi
adam

Postby Jehu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:53 am

Hi Adam.

That's a really good idea about studying this at Uni as you will have access to a lot of things that us backyard guys don't.

There are a few things I would like to know about what is going on in there.

What is the full chemical reaction of diesel with and without hydrogen and atmospheric air, in theory and practice.
What is the difference in emissions with and with out hydrogen supplementation before the catalytic converter (if fitted).

And here is an important one.

I would like to see bench tests of an engine on straight diesel, hydrogen supplemented and hydrogen supplemented via an engine driven booster. This would lay the old argument of boosters using more power that it's worth to rest, once and for all.

A few things I could think of for this last test would be for accurate measurement would be to have the engine on a dyno at a given load, logging intake air flow, fuel mappings and consumption, power consumption for booster, etc. I'm sure you or someone else could figure out other things that would need to be logged.

I might be going off on a tangent from what you originally ment, I'm not sure so I apologize if I did but I hope you find some very interesting data from your studies and hope you discover something great.

Good Luck!
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Goofy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Goofy
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:37 am

Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Goofy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Goofy
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:46 am

Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Goofy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Goofy
Regular Poster

Re: University study on Diesel and Hydrogen Fumigation

Postby seanx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 am

I have heard that it's getting more popular to add an LPG tank to a diesel and have LPG injected in with the diesel to boost power and economy. Ok, it might sound like false economy but the power and efficiency boost you get more than makes up for the extra LPG cost.

In that case, it shouldn't be that hard to fit a hydrogen booster to a diesel engine.

seanx

Re: University study on Diesel and Hydrogen Fumigation

Postby Jehu » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Seanx.

Yes, it's getting popular over here to LPG boost diesels. And with LPG sitting at about 67c per liter, why not? I wouldn't be surprised if it helps to reduce emissions from the unburnt particulate matter that you get from diesels.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis