[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Thermal cracking of water & home power stations

Thermal cracking of water & home power stations

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Thermal cracking of water & home power stations

Postby williamssteve » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi All,

This is a little off topic but worth noting.

A little experiment that I tried just after I had finished making dinner on our outdoors BBQ last night.....

NOTE - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.
IT IS DANGEROUS. PROCEED COMPLETELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
THIS INFO FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY.

As we know, water will thermally "crack" into H & O under high temperatures, usually in presence of a metal catalyst like iron oxide ( rust ) or copper or platinum or nickel.

Last night I got my wifes water squirt bottle she uses for the ironing, and gave the BBQ quite a few squirts of tap water in varying water densities ( mists ). I also tried injecting water mist into the gas flow as it entered the burner body. I got some orange flame but not a lot.

Next I tried different levels of misting by adjusting the nozzle. I had limited success. Then I leaned the water mist right off and I must have hit the burner just right and WOOOOOF!!!!!!! - one large orange flame ball about the size of a basket ball.

Proof of concept confirmed.

Now it occurs to me that if you could create a steel coil in the path of enough heat to get to about 1800F ( 900 C ) roughly, water will crack into H & O.

If you pumped water into the coil at one end, attach an expansion cyclinder of 2 inch diameter and 8 inches long the coil feeds into, and have an oulet pipe at the other end of the expansion tube so the H & O can be extracted, you could then feed & burn the H & O into a furnace and produce steam and create a home electricty generation plant using a simple turbine. The expansion tube should allow quenching ( stopping the H & O from recombining ). I thought of using copper tube but no copper solder will hold at 900 C, so maybe steel.

Interesting I thought.
williamssteve
Regular Poster

Postby FlashBang » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:07 pm

http://www.propanecarbs.com/propane.html

Here is a link with some interesting data about several fuels including Propane and Gasoline. One of the more interesting is the "Peak Burn Temperature.

I was all prepared to suggest that your backyard grill could not possibly achieve a temperature high enough to perform Thermolysis, but I suppose I would have been WRONG. According to this source, the peak burn temp for propane is 3,614 F or 1,991 C which I think should be sufficient. Though I must admit, I have found conflicting values for the thermolysis temp of water at various places on the internet, so I do not know what the real value is.

Does anyone know the correct temp for water, with some linked references?

I have seen 2500 F and 2500 C... which is a huge difference, so IF its "F" then you could very well have sone just that. But I would say, that this sounds like "water injection" that is already being done.

FlashBang!
Just becuase you are Paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Postby williamssteve » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:52 pm

williamssteve
Regular Poster

Postby mrgalleria » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:39 am

Aloha,
If you have steam, as some are suggesting, then it should be a simple matter to convert that into plasma- see US Patent 7,384,619 B2, Bar-Gadda, Method for generating hydrogen from water or steam in a plasma. He recommends several different, simple methods to use plasma from voltage (see the plasma cell in my project folder for a simple alternative method). He even tells how to stabilize the gases so that they remain separate. In fact, this looks much more simple than electrolysis.
Also, decomposing water with a catalyst metal (like nickel alloy) can be accomplished at temps starting at 450 degrees. Again, a fairly low temp if exhaust is being used as a heat source. After all, water boils to steam at 212.
Bill
mrgalleria
Regular Poster

Postby williamssteve » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:21 pm

williamssteve
Regular Poster

Postby mrgalleria » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:24 pm

mrgalleria
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 pm

If you Email Me, the Word "ELECTRONIC" MUST appear in the Subject Line.

My NEW Website is:
http://chemelec.com
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:28 am

Ok, this might be quite a bump but it occoured to me that this could be done very much like a gassifier but using water. also if there was positive air pressure on the burner side, it might produce enough heat to keep the reaction going. Hummm. I wonder how much energy is needed to keep the reaction going and if the thermolysed water can keep it going?
Jehu
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis