[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - I need to purchace power supply

I need to purchace power supply

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

I need to purchace power supply

Postby kevinsatterfield » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:26 pm

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Dimento » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:46 pm

Dr Dimento
Regular Poster

Postby nakros » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:11 pm

If you're looking for schematics or diagrams, Chemelec's site is an amazing resource.

He also lists parts that he is selling.

Hope that helps!
nakros
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:25 pm

ok say i wanna use a computer's power supply,you mention diffrent rails ...?do you mind giving us a step by step including removing supply from computer?
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby thrival » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:31 pm

kevinsatterfield:

If you keep an eye open, people throw computers away to the curb.
More often than not the power supplies work (even the computers themselves but for the spyware they picked up and folks didn't know how to deal with.)

Anyway, just open the case (usually screws in the back to remove, then the cover slides off. Look around for retainer screws and remove them. Now you're holding the computer power supply in your hand, about 3.5 x 5 x 7" on a side, with lots of wires hanging off. (You'll need a power cord too, which are pretty standard and removable.)

I'm looking at one from Real Power Enterprise Co., Ltd. (Taiwan), 200 Watts DC output, with four different ouputs: +5V @ 20A, -5V @.5A, +12V @ 8A, -12V @ .5A

The hard-drive plugs have wires that are yellow, red and two black wires, which I take to be commons. Testing different lead combinations, I found 22.1V & 10.7V, which I take to be multiples of the voltages listed, altho not exact; didn't have an ammeter handy to test the output amps.

The mother-board plugs have blue and orange wires as well as the above. I couldn't get a tester into the tiny pin-holes, although cutting the connectors off would give bare wire ends.

If you want to vary the V/I, you'll need a pot or variable R that can take the full current.

Just tear into it. Nothing to lose if working with junk.
thrival
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:20 pm

thanks thrival 8)
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Dimento » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:08 am

A power supply is extremely simple to remove from a computer. It's the big sqare box that you plug into the wall. Just unplug it from the motherboard and any devices, remove the power cord (the one that goes to the wall), take the screws out the back of the case and it should come right out.

If you really want to crank out some amps, buy one specifically for that purpose. You easily get one that will do 40+ amps for about $30. I've always used www.newegg.com for all my electronics purchased online, it the best prices, and super fast shipping.

Now once you get one, since it won't be in a computer, you will have to "short" it for it to work without being hooked up. It's really easy and it only takes a single wire about an inch long to do. I recommend NOT having it hooked to a computer as you run a great risk of damage to any drives/devices also being powered by that power supply.

http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

Here's a diagram that'll tell you what every wire is.

http://www.phm.lu/Documentation/Connectors/PCPower.asp

Hope that helps!
Dr Dimento
Regular Poster

ebay

Postby dkmacmillan » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:04 pm

Try ebay
I would upgrade the one in my computer, use the old one for experiments
Big Link
http://computers.search.ebay.com/comput ... sacatZ3667
dkmacmillan

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis