[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Ravi's Meyer Replication- Tap Water to H2

Ravi's Meyer Replication- Tap Water to H2

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Postby mostrander » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 pm

mostrander
Regular Poster

Hey mostrander

Postby sg1kev » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:48 am

sg1kev

Postby Simon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Simon
Regular Poster

Postby mostrander » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:02 pm

mostrander
Regular Poster

high voltage transformer

Postby sg1kev » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 pm

mostrander, that is a interesting idea about using a flyback. I found this website that mentions it,
sg1kev

reply to simon

Postby sg1kev » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Simon, thats good news. Sorry to hear about that about ravi, but just try to be careful!
sg1kev

Postby Simon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:00 am

Basically i want to see if its possible with the info he and dave lawton released to replicate their results... if someone could do it and take it to a University and demonstrate to them that it produces much for gas that normal electrolysis then im sure they would be interested. If anyone can get to that level it must mean that the process can be scaled up to run a car or generator or whatever!
Simon
Regular Poster

University Demonstration

Postby LapperLL » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:01 am

Simon,

LapperLL

reply to Simon

Postby sg1kev » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:03 am

yeah, your right I think it is a little too dangerous to work alone, especially if you build a successful prototype and publish it on the web. There needs to be a University involved, or a organization.
sg1kev

stanley myers replication

Postby sg1kev » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:29 am

has anyone come across this website?
It looks like he replicated what Stan done successfully. I think he first started with Dave Lawtons circuit, then he made some changes and simplified it.

Anyway, I have pulled many experiments, my initial experiment was with using aluminum plates. I found that two aluminum plates, both the size of stainless steel switch plates, draws very little current (.250 - .180 amps), and produces a considerable amount of hydrogen (15vdc). The problem with aluminum is the oxidation, the oxidation doesn't seem to hinder the hydrogen production, but it fills up the water with oxidation flakes and 'foam'.

So I decided to use stainless steel instead, in this case switch plates from Lowe's, although it does draw more current but doesn't have a oxidation problem. If you first start using the stainless steel plates you'll notice a "brown scum" on top of the water, and the plates start to corrode a little (with no electrolyte). So I found this forum some months ago, and I remember Ravi talking about the need to condition the stainless steel plates (or tubes). He said to condition it could take a few months. But recently I tried to condition the stainless steel using acid, or PCB board etching solution. You have to make sure you wash the plates thoroughly with water afterwards. It works very well, it only takes like 2 minutes! I pulled another experiment with the newly conditioned plates, and there was no brown scum or corrosion and it seemed the hydrogen production increased!

My next project though is building the pulse generator and voltage intensifier circuit. thanks....
sg1kev

Postby mostrander » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:28 pm

mostrander
Regular Poster

Re: stanley myers replication

Postby kevinsatterfield » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:02 pm

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

reply to mostrander

Postby sg1kev » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:35 pm

mostrander, I don't know exactly. The voltage intensifier circuit is supposed to restricts the amps and increase voltage, and there are many circuits that can do this (but the concept usually remains the same). But I believe the most effective way would be using a step up transformer, like Stanley's circuit. I know how to build the rest of the vic circuit, the step up transformer is the only thing I'm in question about. I don't know if it would be better to custom build a transformer or use a pre-made one. For a test, I'll probably just find a used transformer.

But right now I'm trying to find the easiest way to step up the voltage, so it would be easy for others to duplicate. I would like to build this circuit:

You can read more information about it here:

He said with this circuit you can take a dc voltage of 15 and generator 2000v. My question is, can you wind less turns on a transformer if the gauge of the wire is thicker?
sg1kev

Postby mostrander » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:05 pm

no you cannot sub wire gage for the # of windings in a transformer, the # of windings is a ratio directly elated to the voltage you are looking for.

I'm looking at using a flyback transformer with a rectifier because it is designed to be used at high frequencies.
mostrander
Regular Poster

reply to mostrander

Postby sg1kev » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:14 pm

mostrander, thanks for the tip. How exactly do you calculate the number of windings a transformer needs. I mean, I understand that the more turns the secondary winding of a transformer has, the output voltage is multiplied (based on the ratio of turns between the primary and secondary winding). But I guess what my question is, how do you determined how many turns the primary and secondary need?

thanks
sg1kev

PreviousNext

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis