[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Gluing plastic

Gluing plastic

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Gluing plastic

Postby CrusherT » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:19 pm

What is the best stuff to glue Plexi glass together with?

I am building an eight plate cell and am going to encase it in a Plexi glass box. The box will be 7 x 7 x 4. It will have two chambers the front one will be a built in bubbler and the rear will house the plates. I used polypropalene
to make the prototype and no mater what I tried to glue it with it leaked. Now I am going to build it out of Plexi and don't want the same problem, so someone please help me out. I want it to be clear and nice no sloppy seams and glue mess, what works best?

Tony
CrusherT
Regular Poster

Postby mrgalleria » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Aloha,
You did not need to start a new topic. Look at the top of the page where is says "Search". There are many topics there which already answer your question now.
Bill
mrgalleria
Regular Poster

Postby CrusherT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:34 am

I tried that it came up with 208 threads but each thead has many pages and and after 1 hr of reading them I decided my time is worth more than that. Now here is the deal, you knowing this forum so well could have posted a link to the correct thread that would have helped me instead you felt in necessary to admonish me. Thank you for your help.
CrusherT
Regular Poster

Postby huck » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:06 am

huck
Regular Poster

Postby CrusherT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:20 am

CrusherT
Regular Poster

Re: Gluing plastic

Postby Looking In » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:01 am

Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby fixaze » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:13 am

I have a small bottle of acrylic adhesive bought at an industrial acrylic place.

It is thin like water...MEK...Trichlorethylene...acrylic monomer.

The last is plastic?

Use it to soften the acrylic....or use capillary action to pull it into tight fitting joints.
I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

Postby huck » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:04 pm

huck
Regular Poster

Postby jpshydro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks John
jpshydro
Regular Poster

Gluing Plastic

Postby LapperLL » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:15 pm

LapperLL

Postby CrusherT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:14 pm

Thank you all for your responses. Think I will try the MEK or acitone and plastic on some scrap and see how well it holds. I have several pieces that are left over so I can try several different glues. I will let you know which ones work best. Sorry for coming off wrong but I had put in a 12 hour day and really didn't feel like reading hundreds of words that were not telling me anything I wanted to hear, after an hour I was tired and just decided to ask the question.
CrusherT
Regular Poster

Postby moses » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 pm

weld-on # 4 is use in the aquarium hobby alot very dependable make sure you get the applicator bottle
I am the origanal water splitter
moses
Regular Poster

Postby CrusherT » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:43 am

All right, Here is what I found out when trying to attach 2 pc plexiglass on edge.

Acetone will not melt plexiglass at least not in my life time.

MEK will work but the working time is very short and you need to get it right the first time. Joint not as strong as I would like.

urethane is messy and looks bad also not a true glue joint it is still flexable

Sealaprene works well but also not a true glue joint and the acid resistance is questionable. It is also messy will not wipe off if you get it on the Plexi.

Winner is Weld on #4. Tried #3 dries very quickly but blushes the glass (turns it white) #4 produced a Clean clear welded joint, but takes longer to set up. I bought this at a plastic sign company, cost about 5.00. You don't use much so it goes a long ways.
CrusherT
Regular Poster

Postby CrusherT » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:01 am

Oh BTW Acetone, MEK and Weld on are very "HOT" chemicals. No fires or flames and lots of Fresh Air.
CrusherT
Regular Poster

Postby BillyHydrogen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:00 am

BillyHydrogen
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis