[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Sealed series cell drawings now online

Sealed series cell drawings now online

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Sealed series cell drawings now online

Postby Bob Boyce » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:04 am

I finished the diagrams of the sealed series cell design, and they are now posted in the Sealed section of my project page.

These diagrams show details of the various components involved for the 2 plate orientation variants and 3 cell count sizes of this design.

Being tired from spending days drawing these diagrams pixel by pixel, I tried to at least supply enough explanation in the descriptions so that the drawings would be self-evident. I may add to these descriptions once I have had a good day or two of rest and reflection.

Any questions about these diagrams may be asked in this thread.

Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

k

Postby kevinsatterfield » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:12 am

NICE JOB!!!

Hello Bob, I'm currious about the 1/4" steel.What determined the use of thicker steel for final project?
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:49 am

Good question. On a 7 or 8 cell it would not really be required, 16 guage would suffice, but on an 80 cell the clamping forces would be way too much for 16 guage to handle. I drew the 80 cell first and then cut it down for the 8 and 7 cell versions. Too tired to bother fixing it now, maybe later.

Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby pertyfly » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:27 am

Bob, that's a great design. I couldn't wait to see what you had been designing! I love that the gas and electrolyte are supplied through the same fitting. It seems so compact and nice :)

I do have a few questions about it, though. I see very well how those manifolds are combined (water/gas). One thing I am having great difficulty seeing is how those "o-ring valves" work. I understand what they're for, and the theory of them. But....how do they physically work? This I don't quite get. Are they o-rings? Or are they some sort of special part? If so, I've not heard of them. I'm very interested!

Also, how were you planning to get power to these?

I see that the 1/4" plates extend the full size of the unit, but I'm just wondering what your plan is for connecting this.

One more thing :D Have you or TeroRanta actually made a unit like this yet, or is it still in the design phase? Just curious!

Thanks,
Chris
pertyfly
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:36 am

Yes, they are flat surface O-rings, commonly available in O-ring kits for plumbing ect. Very inexpensive in quantity as well, so they make an easy to assemble valved manifold. The manifold tubing is used for sink supply lines in modern plumbing. I intentionally left out exact plumbing tube and manifold hole dimensions to allow experimenters to adapt the design to materials they can obtain locally to them.

Power can be applied by drilling through end plexi and end plates, and bolting power leads to the end plates anywhere along any exposed edge between the clamping rods. I figured most experimenters would just use whatever method of connection they are comfortable with.

Tero has actually built the 7 cell version, only his unit has no water fill manifold. He has to turn his unit on its side to equalize cell levels after manually filling. So the cell design is tested, but the water refill design is not.

The main problem with replications along these designs is water refilling. I spent some time figuring optimum gas vent hole placement so that water refills can be done while the unit is in operation. I also tried to keep construction simple enough that no complex machining need be done. As long as one can get their metal cut, drill holes, and cut out flexible PVC sheets, they should be able to build these. An automotive windshield washer pump would suffice to pressurize the water manifold to inject the distilled water on the 7 & 8 cell booster models.

Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:53 am

hi bob,

nice design!

couple of things:

the water manifold is plastic pipe right? it looks quite snug on the plates in the drawings.

and,

the o-ring valves...are the actually special o-rings or just flat o-rings that move allowing water to enter once the internal pressure drops?

googling gets me lots of o-rings for valve bodys :p

got a suppliers link / name?

cheers
Adam
adam666
Regular Poster

Postby pertyfly » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:08 am

Okay, so they're regular snug-fitting o-rings, from what I understand.

So, basically they don't allow gas out because they are snug, and gas pressing "in" will just seal them tighter, yet when you put (slight) pressure on the water in, it will squeeze through and fill the cells. Is this right Bob? This was my first thought on it, but I wasn't sure if that was the case

:)
pertyfly
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:47 pm

Last edited by Bob Boyce on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:16 am

adam666
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:22 am

eco
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:03 am

Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:27 pm