[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Help for our newbies

Help for our newbies

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

help for newbies

Postby weggl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:45 am

WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

help for newbies

Postby weggl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:52 am

WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Postby Etownlax » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:30 am

Etownlax
Regular Poster

help for newbies

Postby weggl » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:27 am

There are confusing reports out there as to the maximum concentration of sodium hydroxide. I believe it is 26% is this correct or is it 28% as I have heard?
Would appreciate info on the correct level.
Warren
WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Postby MarkinAustralia » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 am

Dear Warren,
Bob has some accurate figures on this I believe its between 25% and 28%.
It also depends on your cell, plate area and design.
I tested several types of cells this year with different concentrations.
Fo example one cell I tested between 1% and 20% concentration. It was a sealed cell with small holes in the plates so it was self leveling (not a pure bob one)
With the lower concentrations it was slow to start but after a few hours it heat up and get more efficient. With the higher concentrations it would produce lots of gas instantly...slowly heat up resulting in more amps being drawn and over cooking the cell. To control this we used a pwm device to limit maximum power.
The above applies to straight DC brute forse only. Its my belief that using the ideas Bob has shared with us that the heat may not present it self to be a problem.
If a cell gets too hot you may boil it producing a lot of water vapour.
Another consideration is plate area. You need to have enough plate area. The more you have the less problems you will have with heat building up at higher concentrations. Many of the chaep nasty cells on the market just heat up too much through lack of plate area.
Hope this helps
Mark
Follow your passion
MarkinAustralia
Regular Poster

Help for our newbies

Postby weggl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:45 am

Dear Mark,
Thank you for your prompt reply. My cell size is 7x150mm x 150mm.
The plates were not cross hatched sanded (much to Bob’s disgust) bur rather sandblasted, the reason being that I don’t have a belt sander but I do have a sandblaster.
I am wondering why the water went dirty on 26% but was clean on 22%? The plates are 403SS.
I am also wondering if 0.8L/Min is ok for a 4 cyl Corolla?
The Lord willing this may be ok.

:roll:
WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Help for our newbies

Postby weggl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:48 am

Mark,
one more thing i ran this cell at 10 amps for 5 hours on 22% and the temp only got to 48deg C.
Warren
WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Help for our newbies

Postby weggl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:19 am

Bob,
I did the cleansing for 3 days at 5 amps washed it out 4 times filtered the electrolyte first and got virtually nothing out of it. replace the electrolyte twice.
The blackish electrolyte came when i replaced the 22% with 26%.
I washed that out with distilled water ran it for 2 hours on distilled water which only had the minute residual electrolyte still in the cell it ran at 3 amps on 13,4 volts. that remained clear i emptied that washed it out and replaced it with 24% sod hyd it has been running now on 10 amps for 3 hours and is still clear. Guess I will just have to run it untill tomorrow morning and see what happens.
Thanks Bob.
Warren
WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Postby MarkinAustralia » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:07 am

Follow your passion
MarkinAustralia
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Help for our newbies

Postby weggl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:34 pm

WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis